Heart-related problems are increasing continuously. Many types of heart-related diseases are coming out, of which people are not much aware, one of them is atrial flutter.
What is Atrial Flutter?
Atrial flutter is a type of heart disease in which the heartbeat becomes abnormal. This problem occurs when the upper chambers of the heart start beating too fast. When the upper chamber of your heart starts beating faster than the lower chamber, in such a situation the heartbeat is not uniform, which leads to a problem of atrial flutter. Let us tell you that the condition of atrial flutter is similar to that of atrial fibrillation.
What are the symptoms of atrial flutter?
Usually, the person who has this disease does not even realize that his heart beats fast. This disease's symptoms manifest in a variety of ways. It has the following symptoms:
- Difficulty doing daily activities
- fatigue problem
- respiratory distress
- rapid heart rate
- A feeling of pressure in the chest
What are the causes of atrial flutter?
There is a sinus node in the right atrium of your heart that works to send electric signals to both the right and left atria. When you have problems with atrial flutter, the sinus node sends an electric signal but part of the signal travels in a loop around the right atrium. This causes the atria to constrict, causing the atria to beat faster than the ventricles and abnormal heartbeats.
Apart from this, there are many other reasons for having a disease like atrial flutter, such as:
- Open Heart Surgery
How is atrial flutter treated?
The main purpose of the doctor is to normalize your heart rate. Let us tell you that the treatment of this disease depends on the condition of the patient. The following medicines are used in the treatment of this disease:-
- Medicines that work to control your heart rate, such as calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers, digoxin.
- Medicines that work to normalize the heart rate, such as amiodarone, propafenone, and flecainide.
- Blood thinners, such as non-vitamin K oral anticoagulants, can be used to prevent clotting in your arteries.
- Surgery can also be used to treat atrial fibrillation. Ablation therapy is used when the problem of atrial flutter is not relieved even by medication.